As much as the Kitchen was labor intensive, the bedroom had its problems, and some unexpected problems have been found with the living room… Essentially gutting an entire bathroom is the absolute least amount of fun I’ve had in a long time.
When we first acquired the house, we knew that we would have to replace everything in the bathroom. Ultimately it would be impossible for the bathroom to function in any decent manner- not to mention everything in the bathroom was disgusting; the sink was falling apart, the toilet was wedged into an impossible space, both were that kind of dirty you never want to see in a bathroom, and once we pulled up the carpet and linoleum we discovered holes in the floor.
We tore everything out with the exception of the shower. It was stained as well, but at least it looked new compared to everything else. And we simply didn’t have the money to replace it, so keeping it was the only option we really had. The sink and the toilet, however, went instantly. After that we spent two days installing the subfloor, then another day laying the new linoleum and patching the drywall before installing the new facilities.
We managed to find a gorgeous painting of a ship at a Yard Sale for $1 USD and decided that we would very much like a Nautical-esque theme in the bathroom as opposed to the purple tones I had originally planned on painting it in. Painting is not an option right now, however- nor is purchasing a new vanity mirror. It will definitely have to wait until later, but at least for the moment the bathroom is functional.
We ran out of money for the renovations quite fast due to a few problems that we hadn’t accounted for. We’ve learned our lesson for next time, but it does mean that the renovations are officially complete.