Our Home

Mission Accomplished: Kitchen

There is an unbelievable amount of work that goes into scrubbing and painting cabinets. This last week has been so tedious; who knew even small scale renovations took so much effort? But hey! Our first mission is accomplished!

Earlier this week we were at the house for a short time to remove the cupboard doors for painting and hardware replacement. Later half of the cupboards were scrubbed- along with the window frames. We also hauled off the carpeting that was torn up last week. Linoleum was purchased for the bathroom and brought over to the house as well- and we pulled 10 pounds of tacking nails out of the hardwood in the kitchen.

The next day we returned with plans to vacuum and sweep, and begin painting. My Husband and I didn’t necessarily get a whole lot done that day, but we did almost to complete the second largest project in the kitchen: Scrubbing and painting the Cabinets.

I also decided that I wanted to paint the drawer faces in different accent colors; I had a hard time settling on the color I wanted for the Kitchen. Even though I had worked up a plan and picked paint colors for most of the house, as expected I was unable to purchase some of the colors I had originally chosen. In the end I ended up going with a very nice pastel blue with a pale yellow, coral pink, pastel orange, and a creamy white as accent colors.

I was alone for the next trip since my Husband had to work that day. I finished scrubbing and  the cabinets and began painting the cabinets and trim. The day after that the plumbing crew showed up and replaced the Sewage Line. And by the middle of the week? We were finally ready to paint!

I started by painting my standard protective sigils on the walls beforehand, then quickly put down what i could of the first coat; I was too short to paint all the way up so my Husband had to finish the job. He’s not much a fan of painting, but it needed to be done and he’s so much taller than I am.

The drawers were then painted in alternating colors which very handily acts as a color coding system for the utensils. This same color coding system was also used on the storage unit by the back door- which we’ve decided to use as a pantry instead of the Linen Closet it was intended to be in the original floor plans.

Because of the color choices I’ve taken to joking that it looks as if the Easter Bunny exploded in my Kitchen. Still, I’m very pleased with the result. Now all that’s left is to finish furnishing it and obtain the other appliances we need!Signature Blue

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s